Schools under the jurisdiction of the Sudbury Catholic District School Board exist primarily to assist parents in developing to the fullest the academic, the intellectual, spiritual, physical, cultural and moral growth of their children.
The goals of education for exceptional pupils are essentially the same as those for all other students.
- To develop completely their individual talents as members of society and as unique and responsible individuals.
- To provide them with opportunities to grow in Faith and in an understanding of the nature and purpose of life.
- To provide programs and services for students with special education needs according to the area of exceptionality defined by the Ministry of Education.
- To cooperate with other school boards and community agencies when necessary to provide a full range of programs and services designed to meet the needs of students with diverse abilities.
- To provide within the special education funding envelope of resources at the community school level such that most exceptional pupils can remain with their fellow pupils in the regular classroom.
Our Board Model
The Sudbury Catholic District School Board strives to provide maximum growth and development opportunities for every pupil including those with exceptionalities. Every elementary and secondary school has an “In-School Team” comprised of administrators, special education teachers, classroom teachers and one representative from the Academic Services Department. The ‘in-school team’ closely monitors the progress and address the needs of all at-risk and exceptional students. The Special Education Staff of the Learning Support Services at the school board office operates to assist the community school in this challenging task.
Our Central Office Team
- The Superintendent of School Effectiveness
- Special Education Consultant
- Student Support & Inclusion Consultant
- Attendance Counsellor
- Attendance Support Worker
- Speech and Language Pathologist
- Communicative Disorders Assistant
- Special Education Support Teacher
- Outdoor Education teacher
- Itinerant Resource Teachers / ELL Support
- Empower Program Lead
- Social Worker/Psychotherapist
- Special Needs Social Worker
- Special Needs Support Worker
- Social Worker
- Child and Youth Workers
- Itinerant Behaviour Support Worker
- Assistive Technology
- Support clerk
We also have support at each school which includes: educational assistants, intervenors, teacher of the blind/low vision, school facilitators, resource teachers, student success teachers, special education teachers, guidance teachers and program lead teachers.
This team of professionals works in close cooperation with the staff, parents, public health personnel, curriculum consultants, superintendents and all pertinent community agencies to help address the particular needs of exceptional pupils.
For more information about our Special Education Program, please go to the following website.